How to Continue Your Benefits

All McLaren Health Plan Medicaid and Healthy Michigan Plan Members must sign up for Medicaid every year. This is called your Annual Redetermination (Renewal) Process.

You will receive your paperwork from the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MDHHS).

If you do not complete the paperwork every year by your due date, you could lose your Medicaid benefits.

Your paperwork due date is listed on the first page of your redetermination letter and forms. If you need more time, you must ask your MDHHS Specialist for an extension. Your MDHHS Specialist can give you up to two 10-day extensions, but you may not be notified that they approved your extension. The best thing to do is make sure you have your paperwork completed by the due date.

You can complete your redetermination one of three ways:

  1. You will receive your redetermination papers in the mail. If you do not receive your paperwork, contact your Caseworker or your local MDHHS office. You must complete all pages, sign and date the form, and return it with copies of all of your supporting documentation. You can send it by mail or take it to your local MDHHS office.

    You must return the form by the date listed on your redetermination paperwork.

    If you need assistance with your Redetermination paperwork, contact your Caseworker or local MDHHS office.

    You can also call McLaren Health Plan Customer Service at (888) 327-0671

  2. You can go to your local MDHHS office to complete the paperwork.
  3. You can log in to your MI Bridges account to complete your renewal online. You will log in using the MI Bridges username and password you created when you applied. If you do not have an account, you can create one.

Image of website - click on View My Case

If you do not turn in your paperwork by the deadline, you may lose your Medicaid benefits. If you lose your coverage, you can reapply at any time.

  • If you miss the deadline to return your renewal paperwork, you will receive a notice informing you of the date your health care coverage will end.
  • If you lose your coverage, you can reapply at any time through your MI Bridges online account, in person with a local assister, through your local MDHHS office, or through

Helpful Tips:

  • If you can’t reach your specialist via phone to request an extension, send an email so that you have proof of the request. Your specialist’s email address is the Specialist ID (located on the top right corner of any letter you get from MDHHS) followed by “”
  • MDHHS may request income verification for the last 30 days for all types of income.
  • MDHHS may request proof of your assets. This may include: bank accounts, land, cars etc. If you have Healthy Michigan Plan (HMP), you do not need to provide proof of your assets. There is no asset test for HMP coverage.
  • If MDHHS requests bank account proofs, you must send copies of bank account statements. You will need to ask your banking institution to print a copy of your account information showing your last month of activity, account balance, account number, and account owner’s name.
  • Always include your case number or full name on your proofs. Make copies of your documentation – do not send originals to MDHHS.